Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Practice: My Great Grandma's Rolls

Blizzard warnings today in Utah. No one is supposed to leave their houses...and if you do you are supposed to take a winter survival kit. All the schools are closed, including my university. Overnight we are supposed to get up to 13" and the high tomorrow is 16 degrees. We are even supposed to prepare for power outages. But it it only lightly snowing here? People further up north seem to be hit pretty hard. So now Ben and I look out the window every 15 minutes for this 'blizzard' of biblical proportions.

Anyway, enough of that. If the storm is as big as it is supposed to be I will post some cool pics tomorrow :) But for now, rolls! I actually made these last weekend but haven't posted about them yet. So here they are, my great grandma Fitch's rolls. One thing I always liked about them when I was young was the strong buttery taste. As you will see from the recipe below, the rolls are dipped in butter before baking. With real butter this has a completely different flavor than Earth Balance. And though they weren't bad, the Earth Balance overload did nothing for them but make them more fattening. SO when I make them again I will probably just skip the Earth Balance dipping. Maybe a little brush on the top... One good thing dipping them did is they just fell away from each other. As you can see from the pan (below) I really put a lot of them in there. But as you can see from the roll (above) they just came apart in cute little pentagons.

1 1/2 C Plant milk
1 tsp Salt
2 Tbs Sugar
4 Tbs Earth Balance
2 1/4 tsp Yeast (one package)
1/4 C Warm water
Pinch of sugar
3 1/2 C White flour

Place warm water and yeast in a small bowl. Whip together with a fork to get the yeast going and then sprinkle a pinch or so of sugar on top to give it something to eat. If the mixture begins bubbling, your yeast is good to go.

Place earth balance and milk in a pan on the stove. Warm until earth balance is melted. Stir in 1 C of flour and then the yeast mixture. Add remaining flour and mix well.

Place dough in a greased bowl and let rise 1 hour. Punch the dough down, and let raise for up to 1 hour again.

Roll out on a floured surface and cut into circles (I used the top of a glass cup). Melt some Earth Balance and dip each circle in it. Fold over and place in greased pan.

Let rolls rise for 20 minutes and then bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.

6 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a simple roll recipe to do for Thanksgiving. These look great! I'm going to give them a try. Thanks, as always, for posting amazing looking food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried to make these, and they didn't rise. Water temp was perfect, yeast was fresh, had my dad (bread maker extraordinaire) check everything out, and I'm not sure what could have gone wrong.

    One packet of yeast is generally 2 teaspoons (which I discovered as I was throwing the flat, thick dough out), so, perhaps, using a packet, I didn't use enough?

    Also, what is the yeast mixture? Yeast, sugar, water, salt? Yeast & water? should the sugar and salt go in with the flour?

    Sorry to bombard you with so many questions! I'm excited to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! So sorry Kelly that your rolls didn't turn out. As far as the yeast goes, I used one packet but didn't measure it. I must have written two tablespoons by mistake. Also, I just added a paragraph about the yeast mixture. Basically you place warm water and yeast in a small bowl and then whip them with a fork to get the yeast going. Then you sprinkle a pinch or so of sugar on top to give it something to eat. If the mixture begins bubbling, your yeast is good to go. Sorry again! If you end up trying them again, let me know! I would love to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Meggie! I'm going to try it again this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I made them and they are amazing! I ended up adding a full cup of extra flour as it was mixing in my stand mixer (My dad insisted that is what they needed ^_^)

    They rose beautifully, and taste delicious!

    Thank you so much for sharing, they're much simpler than my usual roll recipe.

    ReplyDelete